Monday, July 11, 2016

the trip




 
My starting place is in our home Raleigh. I left Saturday for the start of my trip. I plan to meander my way from Raleigh to Prudhoe Bay Alaska with various friends and family. This being the most northern spot in North America I can make it to in my 2004 TDI VW Jetta. From there I'm going to turn south and head all the way to Tierra del Fuego. This is been a dream trip of mine for the last 25 years when I met a couple doing this on motorcycles. The original dream was to do it on my own motorcycle but reality has stepped in a bit and I'm going to do it in the car. 
My first day I left Raleigh and headed for Knoxville with Jo as my first passenger. We stopped for lunch in Boone at Vidalia where Jo had a killer tomato pie. We wound our way into Tennessee on back roads where we were amazed to pass tons of downed and damaged trees from a strong storm the night before. We arrive early afternoon into Knoxville and had a chance to walk around the old section of the city and had a great time people watching and finding grand old buildings and good public art.

 Day 2; Left Knoxville into the hills of Kentucky on a pretty drive to the Makers Mark Distillery we had fun tasting and wandering around the beautiful grounds of the Samuel's family. We tried to make it to Jim Beam's Distillery in time for a tour there but we were a little late so we moved on to Louisville for a late lunch at the Holy Grale where Jo had the best fresh green bean salad and I had shiitake sliders with some beers from their interesting  draught beer list. We finally stopped for the night in Columbus Indiana which turned out to be a very cool little town.
 


Day three and four Chicago staying in the Warwick and enjoying the great second city.
 
Kenosha, went sailing on the Neewin a Contessa 26 in Lake Michigan good wind and Captain Anne showed us how it's done on fresh water 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment